צילום: IDF Spokesperson's Unit // Caracal soldier says she would have been killed or kidnapped if she had not hid during Friday's terrorist attack on the Israel-Egypt border.

Female IDF soldier hid during Egypt border terror attack

Soldier's comrades in Caracal Battalion defend her conduct, saying she is an excellent soldier and that the attack would not have been prevented even if she had opened fire • IDF: Media reports do not fully reflect what took place.

While much praise has been heaped on the female Caracal Battalion soldier who killed one of the terrorists during Friday's attack on the Israel-Egypt border, it was revealed on Monday that another female Caracal soldier, who first reported the shooting incident over her communications device, later hid and refrained from returning fire.

"If I had been a hero and remained here, I surely would have been kidnapped or killed," the soldier said on Monday.

Around noon on Friday, three jihadis approached the border with Israel from the Sinai Peninsula and opened fire on Israeli troops in the Mount Harif area. Cpl. Netanel Yahalomi, a 20-year-old Artillery Corps soldier, was killed in the attack and another Israeli soldier was wounded.

Soldiers from the mixed-gender Caracal Battalion quickly arrived at the scene and helped in eliminating the terrorists.

After the exchange of gunfire began, soldier S. hid for around a half hour, during which time her commanders thought she had been abducted. On Monday, an Israel Radio reporter learned that, according to military sources, the investigation into the attack had revealed that soldier S. "avoided making contact, was frightened, fled and hid."

The soldier's friends in the battalion defended her, saying she is an excellent soldier. They claimed that the attack would not have been prevented, even if the soldier had confronted the terrorists. The female Caracal soldier who killed one of the terrorists also supported her comrade, writing a Facebook status saying: "Let us not forget that I am not alone in this. Way to go S.,you are the one and only."

In a letter sent to an Israel Radio reporter on Monday, soldier S. described the incident.

"I immediately reported the gunfire over the radio," she wrote. "I scanned the area with my eyes and I thought that the gunfire had perhaps come from the Artillery Corps soldiers who had identified something, but then I recognized gunfire aimed at me by a terrorist. I took cover behind a wheel, loaded my weapon, and tried again to report in via the radio. While trying to reach the device, gunfire was again aimed at me and I realized that I was alone and that I had to take cover in order not to be kidnapped. I took cover and simply waited. I understand that I am alive only by a miracle."

The soldier's father told Channel 2 that his daughter acted as she was expected to.

"She hid, but didn't flee," he said. "The important thing is that she is healthy and not injured."

The Israel Defense Forces said in a statement that it would not respond to partial reports about Friday's border attack, as it was still under investigation, and that the necessary conclusions would be made after a full probe.

The IDF added that media reports about the incident do not fully reflect what took place and represent a disservice to the soldiers who were there.

According to Army Radio, military sources said that the soldier was not obligated to attack the terrorists. The soldier testified that she feared hitting friendly troops if she opened fire.

The military sources also said that searches had not been conducted for the soldier, contrary to reports.

According to these sources, the soldier apparently stayed in contact with her commanders via radio, and this contact may have aided her commanders in responding to the attack.

טעינו? נתקן! אם מצאתם טעות בכתבה, נשמח שתשתפו אותנו